Friday, September 10, 2010

Señor Mark?

Let me introduce myself. My name is John Mark Wallach. I have used my middle name, Mark, my whole life: or as long as I can remember. When asked why I use my middle name my response has been I am John Mark, a son of Mary: just like the prophet Mark. If it was good enough for him, it is good enough for me.

Living in South Florida since 1985 I was married for 21 years, have 3 children, all grown, and a grandchild. In early 2007, I was divorced and shortly after my business was failing. I was in the mortgage business. I held on to the business about 2 years too long. Finally ending it in 2009. Alone, broke, and without opportunity, unemployment was over 12%, I decided to return to university online.

I made another decision at the same time. I realized that one can be rich anywhere they want to be. One can be poor anywhere they want to be. They just can't be middle class anywhere they want to be, because they are holding on to too much "stuff." I definitely wasn't rich, but if I was willing to give up my "things," I could be poor: where I was happy.

So I did. In December of 2009 I gave it all up and embarked on an adventure and moved to Lima, Peru. Arriving with all I could put in 2 suitcases, I began a new life in South America with minimal Spanish and a renewed optimism.

I learned quickly that for most Peruvians the name Wallach was difficult to pronounce and possibly even write. The local supermarket chain has a rewards card for discounts. I signed up for the card and subsequently noticed that when I would use it at the register the name that would show up was Señor Mark. Apparently the person processing the card had difficulty understanding the name and chose to put my name Mark in the computer as opposed to Wallach.

When I would come home to my apartment the watchman would struggle with my name. Each time I would enter the building he would say hola Señor Walsh, or Wayak, or some other pronunciation. In Spanish, the double LL and the CH create a problem for pronouncing the name Wallach: having different rules than in English.

Ultimately, he began calling me Señor Mark. Others in the building began to hear the doorman. Within a short period of time, many were calling me  Señor Mark. I have even found that those I meet in public would call me Señor Mark. The sense I get is a real genuine desire to be respectful coupled with the inability to pronounce the name. Instead of being rude, they decide to call me Señor Mark.

So Señor Mark it is. As Señor Mark, an expatriate in Peru, I will be sharing stories of the people I meet and the experiences I encounter. The taxi driver, the combi cobrador, the street food merchants, all present amazing stories of people and the lives they lead. I will share them with you in this blog.

As you follow my adventure I ask that you understand things are different in Peru than in North America. Open your mind to the vignettes presented understanding different is not better nor worse. It is just different.

The differences are amazing because I have found they demonstrate our similarities in life, walking an alternative path. Walk this path with me: Señor Mark an expatriate in Peru.

3 comments: